Years ago, if there was a contest who hated Reading the most, the winner was definitely me. After that, I accumulated IELTS Reading Self-Study Experience and was no longer afraid of this contest.
As a person who approaches English in the direction of listening and speaking more, the lengthy Reading IELTS readings with 1001 specialized vocabulary is really a terrible thing for me.
At that time I saw the “players” with 8.0 and 9.0 Reading? How can they understand WALL OF TEXTS like that in just 60 minutes, which god are they? Now many people also ask me the same.
However, in order to improve IELTS score, it is imperative to increase Reading score. In the past, I got 6.5 Reading for the first time, but I felt that I was very bad, I did not understand at all, most of them guessed. Right, do not know why right, wrong, do not understand why wrong. So I decided to improve Reading score by studying IELTS Reading by myself.
How to effectively self-study IELTS Reading
The best way to weather a hurricane is through it.
There is no shortcut to self-study IELTS Reading, the full Test Reading is called Reading Comprehension. If the reader does not understand or understand well, you will fall into the trap of the topic.
And so I decided to learn each word in Reading – EVERY-SINGLE-WORD. You don’t get it wrong. You think that reading the text is like driving a car, every strange word is a rolling wheel in front of you that takes 5 seconds (according to research) to guess it and most likely not to guess. Each Reading topic has about 4000-5000 words, so it is natural for readers not to keep up.
So instead of doing the test continuously, after each test I finished I will spend 3-4 hours, sometimes all day to check the vocabulary, make sure I understand all the transmitted content.
Small example of self-study IELTS Reading: medical topic / medicine or the vocabulary “antibiotic resistance” – antibiotic resistance (orange 12 and orange 14)
Along with that is the fear, fear that just don’t learn a word, it can be the answer in another test, or related to the answer, and not knowing it will make me lose points. there.
So I went to learn vocabulary in Cambridge from Cam 15 to Cam 7, learned from medicine, education, geography, engineering, history, culture, politics, archeology, art… studying all frequency I don’t know what kind of quirk, every word, every word, until one day I realize that there are only 2.3 words in a reading, I don’t know, even know all the vocabulary in the lesson. At this time, the rate of vocabulary that I know is about 99.99% of the reading, it is not difficult to guess the meaning of the remaining 0.01%, and the reading score has increased to 8.5-9.0 since when.
And then I took the exam, I found the exam papers were the same as when I worked at home, the exam questions were the same compared to before, only I got better. I got 9.0 Reading so much that I can’t believe one day my R score is higher than an L.
From a ignorant Reading, hating Reading, for a few months reading and learning vocabulary, with a strong belief at the end of the tunnel there will be light, and a great fear that if I miss a word Well then it will be the answer when I take the exam, I have achieved the point in the past I never dared to dream of.
And believe me, once you reach 8.5-9.0, you can’t get down.
I was groping in the dark to get a maximum of Reading points, which I hate the most, so I think you guys can do it too. I’ve seen the light at the end of the tunnel, you will also see.
I remember a quote from Einstein and I think it’s true for me: I’m no better than you guys, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.
Wish you have confidence to overcome this boring Reading! Well, it’s not boring, when I read and understand, I see the Reading lessons provide great knowledge, I really enjoy it, as if I am adding knowledge.